Temple of Tooth Relic firstly built by King Wimala Dharma Suriya in the year 1592-1604 AD and later it was modified by various kings of Sri Lanka. The present palace was built by King Keerthi Sri Rajasinghe in 1747-1781.
Beginning of Temple of Tooth Relic
After the cremation of the Buddha, priests, kings and people from different countries gathered there to receive the relics for worship. Kalinga took the tooth of the upper jaw on the left side. Many kings held this Tooth Relic in high esteem. Centuries later, the nephews of King Kshira Dhara came to war demanding the Tooth Relic. Guha-siva was the king of Kalgua at that time.
He told his daughter Hema Mala and son-in-law Dhanta that he would not give the Tooth Relic until he died and that if he lost the war he would take the Tooth Relic and flee to Sri Lanka. This is the time when the Tooth Relic is coming here. Under the guidance of Princess Hema Mala and Prince Dantha, the famous Sri Megha Varna King of Sri Lanka began to pay homage to the Tooth Relic. An annual ceremony was also held at the Temple of the Tooth. Its name is Esala Perahera (Esala Profession).
At present a large procession is joining four peraheras starting from the four temples of Natha, Vishnu, Kataragama and Pattini. King Keerthi Sri Rajasinghe has the honor of organizing a procession combining the Temple of the Tooth and four temples.
Places can visit in Kandy
Royal Council Hall
Palace complex of Senkadagala Kingdom
St. Paul’s Church
Royal Botanical Garden
The Historic Hill Capital
Kandy, the last capital of the Sinhala kings, stands out for its natural beauty, situated in a peaceful forest valley above a large artificial lake. Palaces, shrines and buildings from the British era give it a special significance. Also the religious significance of the Sacred Tooth Relic. The annual Dalada Perahera. All these are contribute to the dynamics and unique cultural significance of the capital in the historical hills.
Many references found in the Mahavamsa, the great epic of the Sinhalese. Also in the Brahmi inscriptions found in the upcountry from the beginning of the Christian era reveal a long-standing occupation of the Kandy area. But not until its collapse.
The capital of the two great kingdoms, Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa, moved with the royal family to the hills, and the area gained historical attention. With the establishment of Gampola as the capital, it became very important to establish a religious settlement in its suburbs. King Wickramabahu III (1357-74 AD) built a Natha Devalaya at Senkadagalapura dedicated to Lord Lokeshwara Natha. This is the oldest existing structure in Kandy.
In the Asgiriya Thalpatha, a historical record documenting the history of the Asgiriya monastery in Kandy, Siri Vardhana, a nephew of King Parakramabahu IV (1302-26) IV, describes how the former Senkadagala Siriwardanapura town was founded.
In 1312, the Great King found a monastery for the monks in the city and named it Asgiriya Vihara. According to legends, the city dates back to the early fourteenth century and became a royal residence under Vikramabahu III. A century later, King Sena Sammatha Wickramabahu (1469-1511) established Senkadagalpura as the capital of the Kandyan Kingdom.
The 130-year reign of Sena Sammatha Wickramabahu, Jayaweera (1511-51) and Karaliyadde Bandara (1551-81), the first three kings of Kandy, ended with the conquest of Seethawaka by Rajasinghe I (1554-93).
King Wimaladharmasuriya (1590-1604) found the second dynasty year with nine of their kings, the last of whom was Sri Wickramarajasinghe (1798-1815). The 133-year British occupation ended with the independence of Sri Lanka in 1948. The city of Senkadagalapura or Kandy, known by the Europeans, has played an extremely important role in the political and cultural history of Sri Lanka.